On October 29, 2011, Baptist celebrated the first anniversary of the area's first residential hospice, the Baptist Trinity Hospice House, and the Kemmons Wilson Family Center for Good Grief, a comprehensive bereavement center located adjacent to the Hospice House. The 24-bed Hospice House has served more than 178 patients and their
The Baptist Heart Institute opens at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis.
On August 9, 1912, Mrs. Frank Sherman Vories gives birth to the first baby born at Baptist Hospital, Luella Baptista.
Baptist opens a new affiliate hospital in Collierville, Tennessee.
Baptist Memorial Hospital-East opens as a 400-bed satellite hospital in rapidly growing East Shelby County, Tennessee.
Baptist is the site of the Mid-South's first successful implant of a device designed to help keep heart transplant candidates alive while waiting for a donor heart.
Baptist Memorial Hospital for Women, one of only a few freestanding women's hospitals in the country, opens on the Baptist Memphis campus.
On August 16, Elvis Presley, arriving at Baptist one final time, is pronounced dead.
Baptist opens an affiliate hospital in DeSoto County, Mississippi.
At 6:45 a.m. on November 6, Baptist's old 21-story building downtown, which had been closed for five years, is demolished. The implosion takes 21 seconds.
The new 13-story Madison East addition opens, bringing the hospital bed capacity to 800. Baptist becomes the first hospital in the region to offer air conditioning and the first hospital in America built predominantly with private patient rooms.
Baptist is one of the first hospitals in the country to install automatic elevators.
The 18-story Union East addition opens, bringing the hospital's bed capacity to 1,825.
A new east wing with 100 beds is completed and Baptist becomes the largest privately owned hospital in the South.
The Baptist Medical Building, a 10-story office building for doctors, opens at the corner of Dudley and Monroe streets.
Baptist announces plans for a $400 million expansion project, and a merger begins with Memphis' St. Joseph Hospital.
On July 22, 1912, the 150-bed Baptist Memorial Hospital, built at a cost of $235,000, opens its doors for the first time.
Baptist is the first Mid-South hospital, and among the first 10 in the nation, to establish a satellite unit, the Regional Rehabilitation Center.
"The Chapel," as it was simply known, was one of the most beloved spaces in Baptist Memorial Hospital. It was a beautiful place, outlined in burled walnut walls and pews, with a beautifully carved podium standing before a gold cross and stained glass background. It was the place that held the capping services for student nurses, where
Baptist becomes the first hospital in the Mid-South to own a new robotic surgery device called da Vinci.